One may be thinking that just by cleaning the lint filter there is no necessity to worry about anything else with your dryer. However the necessity of having your dryer vent cleaned is very important. Over time lint builds up in the vent and the lint filter, although you may clean the lint filter regularly that still leaves the vent in a very precarious state. Not having your dryer vent cleaned regularly will leave your machine working less effectively and efficiently. A dirty dryer vent also lowers your indoor air quality and can even cause a fire.
Below are 5 tips that it is time to have your dryer vent cleaned so you can have a more efficient dryer that can save you money on your utility bill and can also prevent a potential tragedy.
- Drying Clothes Takes Longer – Drying a load of laundry shouldn’t take longer than 35 to 40 minutes, but a dryer with a clogged vent could take two or three times as long. The purpose of dryer vents is to push hot, moist air out of dryers to then pull in more dry air to dry the laundry effectively. If a dryer vent is clogged the moist air has nowhere to go, so this wastes energy, it increases your utility bills and wears out the heating element and blower in your dryer faster. If your laundry is not dry at the end of a normal drying cycle, you should have your dryer vent checked.
- A Burning Smell – If you notice a burning smell when your dryer is running it is most likely lint. Dryer lint is very flammable and the burning smell comes from small parts of the lint in you dryer vent or lint trap getting very hot. Lint can get so hot that it catches fire. If ever you smell burning near your dryer turn off the dryer and have it inspected by a professional to avoid any potential dangerous incident.
- A Very Hot Dryer – When your dryer vent is clogged it cannot get the hot air from the dryer out, therefore your dryer will fell very hot at the end of a normal cycle. Your laundry room and laundry may feel unusually hot as well.
- Lint Coming From the Outside Vent Opening – The outside vent opening is where the air from your dryer exits your home. If there is lint or debris present around the opening or coming from the opening, you need to have your dryer vent cleaned. Also, if the duct hood flap on the vent opening does not open when the dryer is on, lint has most likely blocked or restricted the system’s air flow and you should have it cleaned.
- You Haven’t Had Your Dryer Vent Cleaned in a Year – It is important to have your dryer vents or ducts cleaned and inspected every year. You will save energy, help your dryer work more efficiently and prevent a dangerous fire. You can clean the dryer vent yourself if you have the proper equipment and the vent is easily accessible. However, hiring a professional is not that expensive and an experienced technician has the proper equipment for any type of job. Most professionals use a special brush with a vacuum extension. The problem with doing it yourself is you may not have the proper equipment for your dryer vent and you could possibly damage the vent by accident.
These are the things to look out for when you want to know if your dryer is in need of a vent cleaning. Having this done could save you money on your utility bill and the worry of there being a terrible incident. For more information and free estimate call us for the best commercial dryer vent cleaning in Mesa, AZ at 877.454.6790.